One word 2022 / Word of the Year - Balance

 Reading this New York Times article (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/well/mind/word-of-year-2022.html got me thinking, should I choose a word for the year? Something to guide my actions and thoughts - yeah why not. I firmly believe that things happen for a reason and that there’s some plan guiding things out for me and everyone. Having said that, the key is always one’s reactions to things that happen to them. As such, a word of the year seems of utility. 


My word is balance, for me, in this moment, at this time, it seems most fitting. As per my previous blog that reviewed 2021, it seems highly improbable that I will be able to achieve anything as remarkable as my year of many firsts. So, as a result, I’ll seek balance.


Runner-up word of the year for me would be connection, but this seems like a risky endeavour to set my year to, as it depends upon restrictions around COVID and so many more things. Connections online aren’t really the goal this time around as the previous two years have been significant for that. So connection in this sense would spiral around meet-ups; teach meets and good, old-fashioned (in more than one way) conferences and professional learning. These things will be a joyful experience, if, when, and how frequently they occur. But not something to pin a year upon.


So balance, on balance, seems like the way to go. I’m looking for balance in the following areas:


  • Balanced home and work life
  • Balanced and equal commitment to unionism 
  • Balanced approach to learning versus sharing 
  • Balancing reading and writing with time off screen and with family 
  • Balancing family and personal time away from work 
  • Balancing safety and avoiding COVID and still living a fulfilling life 


Seeking balance for 2022, if anyone is making a similar commitment to a particular word, abstract noun, or phrase, do let me know! I’d love to hear you approach. 


Running word count: 58,434




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The fraught issue of teacher representation

Teacher Reflection: Key, but how?! Student feedback