Sections I wrote on my website that reveal things that I now believe to be true




On the topic of 'Who I am' 


I am a teacher excited about supporting students and teachers around the world. I use technology, instructional video and assistive technology as much as I can to spread the word of education and how to improve the lives of students and teachers around the world. I am a proud educator, working at a Public, Government school in Melbourne Australia. I upload my educational content to YouTube and upload the worksheets, slides, PowerPoints and associated content to the link provided below: 
 Get in touch If there is a specific topic you would like discussed, get in touch, the quickest way is by tweeting at me on Twitter @steven_kolber, if you have a more formal or lengthy question or request seek me out at:  I run an academic teacher group that would love any new teachers, early, current or retired to join us in discussion. The links for this group (dubbed #edureading) can be viewed above at your leisure, get in contact if you are unsure about any of the above. 

On the topic of teaching: 

Teaching is my primary purpose and role in the world. I teach adults, students and anyone who is willing to engage with me and the content that I have expertise in. I am a proud public school teacher with teacher areas of English, History, English as an Additional Language and Literacy. My teaching career and the additional roles and responsibilities that I have taken on can be more clearly explored from the tab below. However, I am always seeking new situations, methods and approaches to teaching that will extend my knowledge of this wonderful profession. I feel that by constantly extending and challenging myself I am able to perform the same service for those people whom I regularly interact with.

On the topic of speaking:

As part of being an active and engaged educator, leader and teacher I often am called upon to present on a variety of topics. Both within and outside of my school setting. My areas of greatest interest are constantly changing and evolving. I use my skillset for researching and collaborating with other teachers to develop knowledge and skills worth sharing. Most often I speak on technology related topics, such as Instructional Video, Flipped Learning, teacher induction and mentoring, building a professional learning network, using technology to support students with additional learning needs, improving whole-school and individual students literacy and finally ways to use educational research in the day-to-day practice of teaching and learning with an eye to improving our teaching community and the wider profession.

On the topic of leading:

Leadership is something that I have come to realise I have been attempting and messing around with for a long time. The primary way that I lead is through a style best defined as 'Instructional Leadership', I have a strong knowledge base around education, at the classroom, school and system level. The primary ways that I practice thought leadership is by taking a servant approach and being driven by my own desire to be constantly learning. I am constantly learning and engaging with emerging ideas in education because I feel that my students deserve the very best of me and the most accurate and best understood theories and practices of teaching. The primary ways that I practice leadership are through school-based roles; organising, running and recording teach meets in Melbourne; being a key board member and co-leading workshops for volunteer Australian teachers in Cambodia; running the monthly and ongoing international group of academic research known as #edureading; finally I am a useful and crucial member of a range of boards, committees and councils where I can develop, challenge and extend my vision and views of education and its role in our society.

On the topic of writing and researching:

Writing and research are two things that I am passionate about and things that I would love to have more time to do. The tab below entitled 'writing' is much more filled in and full, simply because people are often asking me to write around specific topics and ideas. Whereas research is a more complex process that involves a longer commitment of time and things that are often requiring of a great deal of personal commitment not only to writing the piece itself, but also giving up time to practice and track the progress and process of these pieces of writing through the academic system.


On the topic of recognition:

As a matter of course, some of the work that I do has garnered recognition from other teachers and outside organisations. Recognition is not a goal, in and of itself, but increased recognition does lead to more exposure, which allows me to reach more people. Reaching more people, in turn allows me to more widely promote the work that I try to do to bring teachers together and to assist Cambodian teachers in their development and ongoing needs.

Running word count: 35,900



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The fraught issue of teacher representation

Teacher Reflection: Key, but how?! Student feedback